Thursday 16 July 2009

Jay Dee-Lightful...

http://www.we7.com/#/track/Wild!trackId=935114

Listening to J Dilla's 'Ruff Draft' was just another reassurance at how good a producer J Dilla was.
This song in particular stood out to me, not because I think one of his best beats on the album or his flow is grabbing me particularly; in fact, if anything, it's pretty ridiculous. But that's why I love it. I love how off-kilter it is, and I love it's charming, clumsy plod from start to finish. It sounds like a track that doesn't know that it's catchy when it really is, almost like it was self-conscious. But self-conscious in a boisterous way (however much of a contradiction that is), bopping at every hand-clap.
I guess it's ridiculousness comes in the fact that one of the best hip-hop producers of all time sampled a child singing a Slade song.

I have only recently realised now how many of the songs that I heard as a teen and deemed my favourite Hip-Hop tracks or albums, had songs written by or were produced by J Dilla. I guess that says it all.
If you don't know him, get to know him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J_Dilla

Huw

No comments:

Post a Comment